Saturday, March 6, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese

One of my staple recipes, and a recipe that kids love. There are lots of variations on this. I like mine. I acquired the recipe from a friend of mine and tweaked it over the years. If you know how to make a béchamel, you add cheese to the béchamel and bake it. I shred the block cheese in my food processor - way easier than by hand.

INGREDIENTS:

  Pasta:  2 cups elbow macaroni, (8-oz.)
  Cheese Sauce:
     2 tablespoons butter
     2 tablespoons Wondra flour
     2 cups milk
     1/2 teaspoon salt
     1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
     1 block Colby/Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
     1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  Topping: sprinkle a thin layer bread crumbs on top (you can mix the bread crumbs with melted butter for an extra crisp.)
  Bake in a casserole for 325 for 45 min or until bubbly and the topping has crisped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment