Friday, July 5, 2013

Coquilles Saint-Jacques

Who-Said-What?? Is the reaction I get when I tell people I made Coquilles Saint-Jacques the other day.   It's another recipe from my mother-in-law's "attic" - well, she didn't really have them in the attic. She made this quite often judging by the stains and marks on the paper. I do remember she made it for my husband and me at least once. On one of the final clean-up days before selling the house, the dishes she used for "that French dish" appeared. So, I grabbed them. Since I had them, as with the bean pot, I had to made the recipe.

I uploaded the recipe to Tastebook. I like the ingredients, but made a few tweaks in the method as I went along. First, as on "About French Food", I sautéd the scallops and spices together. Then, in the same sauté pan, sautéd the mushrooms. So as not to have a mountain of pots to wash at the end, wiped out the pan to make the cream sauce, then melted the butter to combine with the bread crumbs. After each step, I built individual portions in the dishes until the final breadcrumb layer. Then broiled (gratinéed) before serving. In the end, a very tasty dish met us at the table. We decided that the mushrooms didn't add all that much to the overall flavor. Hmm ... , what's up with that? Otherwise - YUM!!!

Now, reading Julia Child, I see she has two slightly different recipes for Coquille St. Jacques. The recipe "Á la Provençale", sautés the scallops with herbs and onions and seems to have no mushrooms, but has cheese over the top vice bread crumbs. I think a little tweaking will be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment